Tuesday 7 January 2014

Turkey, and the hotel for Lilliputians


We spent our last morning in Athens quickly checking out the Ancient Agora ruins.  Nothing like a quick climb up a hill in the morning to get your heart rate pumping!  I wish we’d scheduled another day or two in Athens as we didn't get to see everything, and I really liked our simple pension – it was cheap and so well located (Adams Hotel the Plaka if you are going there).  We jumped into the pre-ordered taxi for our trip to the airport.
Greg was a bit concerned about Pegasus airlines, however it turns out that they are a new airline (who have recently taken over Olympic) with new planes and we landed quite safely at Ataturk Airport.  To be slugged with a visa fee of 45 Euros each.  Most countries are on the “visa required” list.  One of the few to be exempt is New Zealand.  Lucky buggers!  Being hit with 180 Euro bill we didn't expect was not a nice welcome! I know, I know, I could have done some research on this…
I’d organised an airport pick up for us.  I had been emailing a Turkish tour company, as I thought that if Turkey was still as cheap as our last visit (back in the dark ages, 28 years ago!) that it might not be too expensive to have our travel, hotels and tours all pre-booked and organised.  I could just sit back and relax.  Bad news: Turkey might not have joined the EU yet, but they act as if they have.  All tours, hotels, and transport are in euros not Turkish Lira (try). That’s bad news for us as the Aussie dollar is still so crap against the euro (not as tragic as the pound, but not too much better!).  The first quote for six days was 845 euro each; when we dropped Cappadocia from the itinerary and went to four days it was 545 euro each – still 2,200 euro (or around $3,500).  I'm sure I can do it for less than this… I hope so anyway!  So even though we decided not to go with the tour we booked the transfer and hotel through the tour company.  The Hotel Deniz Houses is in Sultanahmet, the area most tourists stay in and the place we stayed last time.  Not that we recognised a thing (except the obvious landmarks like the Blue Mosque and Aya Sofia).  The area has changed amazingly!  Our rooms were on the first floor, with an exceedingly low roof combined with beams every three steps; the door frames are also very low, as is the bathroom door.  The kid’s room has a sea view and is a decent size, but ours was so tiny that we couldn't fit our luggage in the room too; we put Greg’s pack in the kid’s room and mine squeezed into the cupboard, just so we could walk around the bed!  It goes without saying that Bella, Greg and I had all hit our heads within 10 minutes of arriving (despite chanting “duck, duck, duck” all the time!).  In addition our room was above reception and we could hear everyone coming and going – it didn't make for a good night’s sleep, so the next day Greg asked if there was a chance we could be moved.  Our new room, on the 3rd floor (no lift, so good exercise!)  is amazingly spacious and even more amazingly, has normal height entry and bathroom doors, it’s just a delight in comparison!  I still have to duck when visiting the kids on the 1st floor (poor Bella, she is coping very well!) and on the fourth floor, where we have breakfast.  There is an outdoor terrace, but the door leading to it is so low that even Liam has to duck, it feels as if Bella, Greg and I have to crawl through!
Our first night in Istanbul we followed a recommendation in Trip Advisor (as we have so often done) and went to a Turkish café which had such disappointing food (and expensive) that I wrote my first ever negative report on Trip Advisor!  Not such a great start.  Yesterday we woke up and thought we'd go to the Topkapi Palace.  As we wandered past the neighbourhood bazaar Greg was offered some tourist assistance by a very pleasant man who insisted we visit the Blue Mosque then and there, as it was nearly prayer time; as he led us to the mosque he revealed he was in fact a carpet salesman, and would be very happy if we could visit his shop.  Well as it happens I DO want a Turkish carpet.  I wanted one last time, but we seriously couldn't afford it; actually we can't really afford it this time either but I still have a credit card (yay!) so I was keen to have a look.  It’s a real performance, looking at carpets.  First you have to accept a drink (usually apple tea, which is quite delicious); the carpet salesman does some small talk with you, then has his little helpers throw carpet after carpet in front of you, extolling the virtues of each one (“double knotted!” “silk thread!” “very old!”).  He then gets you to choose your two favourites; gives you a price for each singularly, then a dramatically reduced price if you decide to get – not one, but TWO carpets!  What a deal!  I had explained that we were not making a decision that day – I refuse to be rushed on a big purchase like this.  I don't think he believed me – especially when he'd made his bargain offer! – but I stuck to my guns.  So escaping outdoors once more, we finally came to the gates of the Topkapi Palace and realised we'd be better off getting a 72 hour Istanbul card when we return to Istanbul, and seeing everything we wanted for the one price.  The kids were happy – they were hungry and not interested in the palace.  I thought we may as well go to the carpet guy in the local bazaar that I'd promised we'd call into when we wandered past the night before.  Once again, the performance; once again, a disappointed carpet seller.  We had a brief rest at the hotel (still luxuriating in my high ceilinged room!) – Greg went off on a small errand and was away for ages.  It turned out that he'd been picked up by another carpet guy!  He’s got them to put aside two carpets he thinks/hopes I will like.  Before dinner we walked down to the fish markets.  Greg was very keen to show them to us even though Bella is horrified by dead animals and Liam hates the smell of fish.  So it wasn't a successful visit.  There are lots of restaurants there and Greg & I would love to go there for dinner, but Liam point blank refuses.  We'd already chosen a restaurant (again, from Trip Advisor) and it turned out to be some distance from the fish market – but co-incidentally, quite near our hotel! - this time, with more success.  I’d recommend the Ortaklar restaurant which had great Turkish food at very reasonable prices.  No beer though, Greg was disappointed!
Heading back to the hotel, we'd just pulled out the map to get our bearings when a guy approached Greg offering his assistance.  After a bit of a friendly chat, he turned out to be – you guessed it, a carpet seller!  As we went along to his shop the kids and I were killing ourselves laughing that Dad had been picked up 3 times that day by carpet seller touts!  So we had our third cup of apple tea (fourth for Greg!) and oohed and aahed over the carpets.  It’s not hard.  They are gorgeous.  The prices are outrageous but I think by the time we finally make a decision, we'll also know what we can get them for.
Today we had booked a walking tour with She Tours, as Lonely Planet said it was the best way to get to know the Grand Bazaar.  And we trust Lonely Planet! We were a bit peeved to be collected at 8.30am, only to spend an hour on the bus going around the place collecting people for other tours – and ending up just 10 minutes walk from our hotel!!  We started in Sultanahmet Square, going past the two obelisks and one monument (and finding out some interesting information about all three) before going into the Blue Mosque (again!) and then Aya Sophia.  Our guide was interesting but very quietly spoken; you had to stand close to hear what he had to say.  Our next stop was … a carpet shop!  This was for “information about carpets only, no obligation to buy” – more apple tea, more performances.  However I was interested that they showed cotton on cotton carpets, which I've decided I like better for Darwin than wool on cotton.  Softer for my grandson’s knees!  Once again, we refused to be pushed into a decision (and believe me, this salesman REALLY pushed!).  Even Liam was convinced he was offering us a once in a lifetime opportunity!  And then our guide pointed the way to the Grand Bazaar…and that was our tour.  We were seriously not impressed as the tour cost us 30 euro each (normally 35 but it’s easier to get discounts in the off season).  I called into the tour office to tell them what I thought of the tour and that I would give it a bad review on Trip Advisor.  They claimed guides can’t go into the Grand Bazaar, as people then worry that they will get a commission on purchases.  So what was the story with the carpet shop I demanded? “No commission, no commission” he claimed.  Rubbish.  So please don't go on a She Tour!!    So much to buy at the Grand Bazaar.  I lusted after beautiful multi coloured glass lampshades (they ship to Australia!  No problem!  Just buy a carpet too!) and the most gorgeous brightly coloured platters.  I'm trying to convince Greg he could carry one as hand luggage!
We've worked out that pulling out a map alerts carpet seller touts, so we are very careful to look around before we whip out the map – but heading to the hairdressers this afternoon we weren't quick enough for the guy outside the Aya Sofia!  We gave him short shrift now we know the deal.  Greg insists this not be counted in his tally of carpet sales touts! Bella, Liam and I all went to the hairdressers – Salon Kadir.  As is usual with Turkey, the front part is very smart but is only for boys; women have to go through to the dingier, darker back area.  However I couldn't fault the hairdresser who was extremely quick and competent.  She insisted on trimming off my very dry ends, which I had to agree needed to be done J It was 55 euro for all three of us – much less than I'd usually spend just for me!
Oh and we had some good news!  Greg’s wallet has turned up at Heathrow lost and found, so it was not stolen, just mislaid!  It’s 20 pounds plus postage to get it back – Greg has authorised them to use the money in the wallet to return it, so I suppose when we hear back from them we’ll also find out if the cash and cards were still there!

Tonight we are trying a restaurant recommended to us from one of the carpet touts and tomorrow have an early start to head down to Gallipoli.  Next blog update from somewhere near there!










No comments:

Post a Comment